DC, MD, VA, Baltimore Coder Community
Recruiters often call me to find programmers. I suggest they visit User Groups and Code Camps. Those place- are a great place to:
- find qualified job hunters
- hear great speeches and learn on technical topics
- meet recruiters who show up to network
These places are recruiter heaven and heaven for programmers who want to learn their craft even better!
A List of Coder Meetings/Events
- CMap @ http://www.cmap-online.org/ in Columbia Maryland. I go there a few times a year.
- http://www.caparea.net/ looks nice I have not personally been!
- I run one at http://www.meetup.com/Peoples-Technical-Training-PTT/
- http://www.meetup.com/dcaltnet/ is a good group the time I went there a few years ago.
- http://www.ineta.org/DesktopDefault.aspx INETA is a Microsoft sponsored initiative to run User Groups!
- http://www.novasql.com/ – Northern Virginia SQL server group
- http://www.novacodecamp.org/ Northern Virginia Code Camp. Code Camps are awesome retreats to learn programming better and network!
I will update these as people tell me about ones I forgot!
The Places to find many more meetings!
- A pretty cool way to find a lot of user groups and meetings @ http://www.communitymegaphone.com/
- Meetup.com has them all. Programming, Book clubs, Movie meetups, Comics, Crochet, Zumba, Yoga, etc. if people get together it is going down there.
- EventBrite.com is also a good spot I have not explored much but will be.
These are the 3 I know of please let me know about more so I can add.
Discussion Groups to find out more, post jobs, post your availability, etc.
There are email groups and web sites you can join to learn more and find other programmers
- https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/AspNetMetroArea/info is a free place recruiters and programmers looking for meetings and jobs will love. I started it over a decade ago to announce meetings, jobs, usergroups before sites like Meetup,com, EventBrite,com etc. rose to more prominence (or even existed)
- https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/DotNetSharepointBaltimoreCounty/info is another good discussion group a bit younger but tell others and it will grow to be a good resource for us all.
Tell us about other groups to put on this Blog!
I will add them promptly. There are several ways to tell us:
- Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and let me know.
- https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/AspNetMetroArea/info is a free place to announce that I created and scour regularly.
- Login / create an account and leave a comment!
Good Luck to recruiters and job hunters and learners using these resources!