Walking Dead: Zombie Chess Variant
invented by Charles Carroll, September 2014
Pawns become Zombies
- Pawns that die get replaced immediately. The replacements can be placed anywhere on on first 3 rows of original player’s side of board.
- Pawns can never capture other pawns.
- Pawns do not promote.
- If several pawns can capture in a turn they can and must all do so. Capture sequence is from left to right.
- Pawns move and capture as Kings. Pawn captures are mandatory.
- Pawns can capture diagonally multiple times if the captures are contiguous, like in checkers.
- If a diagonal capture would eliminate multiple pieces including your own pieces, the capture is mandatory.
No other changes to the game.
Testing has shown the following:
- This will really slow down a 4 player Chess game or a 6 player Chess game.
- Pawns are much deadlier than you can imagine in this context.
Enjoy this variant!